July 05, 2004

Radio Antenna and Stereo Removal

This is actually a pretty easy step. But, since we want to remove the hood, everything needs to be removed that can come out, so they aren't exposed to the elements. So, I decided to remove the radio antenna and stereo.

First thing is to disconnect the antenna wire, that runs to the stereo, from the antenna.

Then, you remove the lower bolt that holds the antenna to the body of the car:

You are now left with this:

Then, you pull the antenna assembly out. Wasn't that hard!? I put the lower bolt back onto the antenna assembly, so it wouldn't get lost.

Next, is stereo removal. This too, is easy. The first thing I did is remove the back of the stereo from the support bracket in the rear. This was accessible from the front of the car. All it involved was removing one bolt:

So, I don't lose the bolt, I put it back on after I pulled the bracket aside:

Now, to remove the stereo from inside the car, I need to gently pull the knobs off of the stereo:

Then you remove the faceplate. You are left with this:

Then I removed the stereo, by pulling it out from the back. Notice the mangled dash around the stereo? When we got the car, it was already like that. We may try to fix that. Since the rear bracket needs to come out, and I don't want to lose it, I removed it and bolted it back on to the back of the stereo:

And, so I don't lost the faceplate and knobs, I put them all back onto the unit:

While I was at it, I decided to yank out the non-stock windshield washer motor:

We're not sure why this is even in the car. The windshield washer was powered by this reservoir in the front. You fill it with washer fluid and then hook up the valve from the spare tire to it. It works off the air pressure:

And, even our dog, Pepper looks disgusted with the removed, non-stock, windshield washer motor:

Next up: Even more things will be removed before the hood can be removed.

Posted by Valkyre at 10:42 PM

September 18, 2003

Scary Wiring and Trunk Cleaning

I decided to clean out the trunk today. There are two reasons for this. One, so I could show a better view of the scary wiring. The second was because the trunk is sitting about 2 inches from the sidewalk and I was afraid of things getting stolen during the night:

So, I removed the spare first. That was the one thing that worried me the most about getting stolen. While it can be replaced, it might be expensive:

Then I dragged out a box and cleaned out the trunk. I found a Pinto hubcap, two sets of a pair of snow chains, an ahooga horn, pens, markers, a toothbrush, pieces of wire and a ton of trash. Now, it looks a little better:

Now, I could take a better shot of the nightmarish hack job wiring. The previous owner had converted the car from 6 volt to 12 volt and added an alarm system. I don't think anything has worked right ever since. We've had occasions where the tail lights stopped working, along with the headlights. And, it's not fun fumbling around in the dark in the middle of nowhere, trying to get your lights working again:

You will notice in the upper left you can see the contents of the glove box. That may be the original, I don't know. But, it has been crumbling steadily over the years, exposing more and more of the contents. So, I cleaned that out while I was at it:

Since the metal strap that was supposed to be holding it from behind wasn't fastened down on one side, I just shoved the, now empty, glove box through into the trunk. You now have a nice view of the street:

And, while I had the trunk lid open, I sprayed the inside of the latch/handle assembly with WD-40. That will be next to come off:


Posted by Valkyre at 10:16 PM | Comments (0)