May 16, 2004

Rear Fender Removal

Before it got too dark, I decided to remove the rear fenders. I had hit the bolts several times with WD-40 over several days, so, I was hoping that they would be ready to come off. I also decided to cheat and use the air compressor, along with Mike's air socket wrench:

Not only were the fenders missing bolts, the bolts were different sizes. Some were 12mm, and some were 13. On each fender, the first "bolt" near the running boards were actually a nut fastened onto a stud. One the passenger side, I put the air wrench on the nut and pressed the handle. There was a lot of noise, and suddenly, I had a sheared off stud with a bolt still attached in my hand. It turns out that I had set the wrench to tighten, not loosen. It had two settings, "F" and "R". I figured "R" must have meant "reverse" and that would be the setting to remove the bolts. Wrong! So, the stud on the passenger side will have to be re-attached in the future.

So, after a combination of air-socket wrench on some bolts, and regular hand wrenching on some others, I managed to remove all the bolts:

The fender was still being held on by the wires running to the tail lights. Since we will be replacing the wiring harness, I just cut off the clips that were attached to the ends of the wires:

Now, the wires could be slipped through the hole and the fender removed:

After going through the same process on the other fender, this is how the car now looks with the fenders removed:

And, these are the two fenders, which we have the paint stripped off, sandblasted and treated with rust neutralizer, before they get primed:

For now, I am going to leave the tail light housings on the fenders. I figure that will prevent them from getting lost.

Posted by Valkyre at May 16, 2004 09:19 PM